Tuesday, April 8, 2014

5K > Me... but not Christopher

Blast From The Past

I found this post lingering in the drafts folder. It amused me then and now so I thought I would spruce it up a bit and share. You know... for the kids.

The Summer Of 69... Er... 07

One Saturday in the summer of 2007, Chris and I ran in our very first (and last) 5K race as part of the events of Saratoga Splash. The Splash is an annual celebration that the city of Saratoga Springs Utah puts on during summer break. In 2007 they had all kinds of fun things to do including a parade, a free carnival, and an awesome squirt gun fight with the Guinness people on hand in case SS broke the world record for largest squirt gun fight. Also, half mile and quarter mile races for kids, and a 5K race for charity.




Regarding Running And The "Genius" Of Noobs

First, a quick thought: running your first 5K race at 7AM on the morning of a day when you are clearly going to be very, very busy and active... not the best idea. Particularly if you haven't run in at least 15 years outside a couple of short bouts with a treadmill. 

Unless you are a 9-year-old with ADHD. If you are a 9-year-old with ADHD, all bets are off.


The News (Hint: It's Not Good)

We arrived 20 minutes early to make sure we were registered and pick up our stylin' t-shirts aaaand stretch. Should have done more of the last.... 

The race organizer said a few words before we got started. Words like: "thank you for coming"... "funds raised go to charity"... "have a good time out there"... and then the bombshell (for me at least) "is everyone excited for all the hills in this neighborhood?" followed by cheers from the crowd. 

WHAT?! WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY CHEERING? This thought went through my mind so clearly I almost yelled it aloud.

I look at Chris to see if I misheard. The gleam in his eyes makes his comment all the more painful to me, "Hills, Dad!" He's as dense as the rest of them!

I groaned inwardly. "Yeah, they're all over around here I guess. Fun, huh?" I faked as cheerfully as I could manage. My forced enthusiasm wouldn't last long.


Of Sadists And 5K Course Planners

"Runners to your marks!" commanded the organizer.

"Hey, Chris... be sure to pace yourself. You don't want to run out of gas after the first K." I advised (partly for my own benefit). "Sure Dad... if you say so."

"Get set!"

"You know the people who get out in front first, we'll just pass later when they are out of gas." "Ok Dad."

The starting gun fired.

We were off... and at first it was ok. The beginning of the course was a deceptively mild downhill grade. This lasted all of 100 meters. Then we rounded a corner to our first hill.

The Energy Of Youth

As we started up the hill, I quickly slowed to a fast walk. Lungs and legs burning. Fire in my veins. This isn't supposed to be so hard! I thought.

Chris is basically jogging in place about 10 paces ahead of me. "Coming Dad?" he asks mercilessly. Can't he see I'm dying?

He runs back to me and jogs a few circles around me as I labor back into a slow trot. "Are you ok Dad?" he's concerned and rightly so.

This may be the end. I see black spots in front of my vision.

I slow to a walk again.

"I'll be fine buddy," I wheeze. "You go on ahead."

"Are you sure??" He's still concerned. Such a nice boy. I want to strangle him.

"Yep. Now go. See how fast you can finish."

He takes off.

In The End

I won't bore you with the rest of the details of my stop/start journey to the finish line. 

There were hills. Many hills. 

Suffice it to say that I did eventually make it. I even beat some people. Well, at least one. Not the guy pushing the other guy in a wheelchair though. They were fast!

Chris finished with a decent time in the front 1/3 of the pack. He's got some energy, that one. Just a little.

From my time getting into running in 2012-2013, I can say with authority that I had no business running a 5K on that summer day in 2007. I'm going to do it again though. Oh yes. I am.

I don't have any pictures from this day unfortunately. Here are another from 2007.



No comments: